Ready for your mid week comfort food fix? Then it’s Mac ‘n Cheese time! Nothing some yummy comfort food like homemade mac ‘n cheese with crispy bread crumbs on top. 😀 This is delicious, easy, and let’s face it, who doesn’t love mac ‘n cheese?! (If you don’t, I might not trust you…) 😉
–1⁄4 c. unsalted butter (1/2 a stick)
-1⁄4 c. unsalted butter (1/2 a stick)
-1⁄3 c. all-purpose flour
-3 c. 1% low fat milk
-1 block of cheddar cheese, grated
-1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
-1/2 c. mozzarella cheese, grated
-1⁄2 tsp salt (plus more for pasta water)
-1/2 tsp. pepper
-1/2 c.-1 c. panko breadcrumbs
-1⁄2 tsp. garlic powder
-1 Box of Pasta (I used Gemelli which is my fave!)
Let’s get cookin’!
- Preheat oven to 350º. Set a large pot of water on high heat. Season with salt.
- Begin making the cheese sauce by making a roux. in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Continue to stir this roux over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add whisk in the milk. Cook for about 10 minutes, whisking occasionally so that it doesn’t burn.
- When sauce thickens, add the cheeses, salt & pepper. Stir until all the cheese has melted.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta until a little more than al dente. It will cook the rest of the way in the oven! You can halt the cooking of the pasta by rinsing it with cool water in the sink.
- Pour the pasta into a large baking dish, then pour the cheese sauce over it. Stir until completely mixed.
- Sprinkle the pasta with Parmesan cheese & the Panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until browned and beautiful!
- Let the dish sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. 😀 Dig in!!