This is a very special pie for a very special guy! It’s my boyfriend Rob’s birthday, and he requested a lemon meringue pie for his birthday treat. I’ve never made one before, so I searched some recipes and came up with this! By the way, how fun is meringue?!
-1 pre made frozen pie crust (I cheated on that!) You can also use your favorite homemade pie crust as well 🙂
-1 1/4 c. sugar
-1/3 c. cornstarch
-4 egg yolks
-1/2 c. fresh lemon juice
-2 c. water
-3 tbsp. butter, cut into small piees
-1.5 tsp. grated lemon zest
-3 egg whites
-1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
-1/3 c. sugar
Let’s get bakin’!
- Preheat oven to 425.º
- Place pre-made pie in the oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes. I covered the pie (except the edges) with tin foil so that it didn’t brown too much.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350.º
- First make the lemon filling! Whisk 1 1/4 cups of sugar and the cornstarch in a saucepan.
- Whisk in the egg yolks and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in the water with a wooden spoon and continue stirring over medium heat until the mixture comes to a full boil.
- Boil for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until the filling is translucent and thick. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the butter and lemon zest and stir until the butter melts. Pour the hot filling into baked pie shell.
- Make the meringue: Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium bowl. Soft peaks will form.
- Gradually beat in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well in between. Beat for 2 minutes longer or until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the meringue around edge of filling to the crust. Spoon the remaining meringue in the center and spread and swirl with back of a spoon.
- Bake pie for about 10-15 minutes, or until meringue has browned on the top. I really just eyeball this part. When the meringue has browned up, it is done!
- Take the pie out and let it cool the pie completely. Refrigerate for atleast 2 hours, but you can refrigerate it for longer if you like. I had mine in overnight. 🙂
K bye!!! :-*