I’ve been wanting to make this for a while now, and this is my first attempt! I think it came out pretty well. It’s the perfect Sunday night comfort food meal. I paired this with mashed potatoes, but I think it would go brilliantly with pasta! Make sure you have a whole lazy day to make this, because you definitely need a few good solid hours plus some prep work. 😀
-2-3 lbs. short ribs, patted dry and well seasoned on both sides with salt and pepper
-2 tbsp. olive oil
-3 carrots, diced
-2 stalks of celery, diced
-1 onion, diced
-3 cloves of garlic, diced
-2 tbsp. tomato paste
-1 tbsp. flour
-1 large can of whole plum tomatoes, with juice
-1 c. red wine
-1-1.5 c. water
-additional salt and pepper as needed
Let’s get cookin’!
- Preheat oven to 350 degreesº
- In a large dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the short ribs and brown on all side.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the carrots, celery, and onion. Cook for about 8-10 minutes until the vegetables have softened. Add in the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste until all of the veggies are coated.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir to coat all of the vegetables. Cook for another few minutes.
- Pour in the wine and increase the heat until the pot begins to simmer. Scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon to get all of the browned bits.
- Next, add the tomatoes, along with the juice from the can.
- Pour in a cup or so of water and stir. If it looks pretty liquidy then don’t add too much water!
- Add the short ribs to the pot. Be sure they are completely covered by the liquid. If needed, add more water to ensure they are covered.
- Add salt and pepper and some dried parsley to the pot and stir. Bring the pot to a strong simmer (increase the heat if needed) and cover.
- Remove from the heat and transfer it to the oven.
- Let it simmer in the oven for 2-3 hours, or until the beef is tender. For me, I checked it at about 2 hours, and then put it in for another 20-30 minutes after that.
- Remove the pot from the oven. Take out the short ribs from the pot and set aside.
- Using a mesh strainer, strain the liquid into a large bowl. Press on the solids to extract all of the liquid before discarding them.
- Shred the short ribs.
- Add the shredded short ribs, the sauce, and the bones to the large pot. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes, or until the sauce thickens a bit.
- In the meantime, make the potatoes, or pasta. Whichever you like!
- Remove the bones from the sauce, season with a little more salt & pepper, and serve over mashed potatoes or pasta. Enjoy!! 😀
K bye!!!! :-*